I love breaded chicken. Whether it’s a burger, strips, nuggets, I love them all. So when I decided to try making a low carb breadcrumb I was skeptical. Could I could achieve that desirable crunch or get that tasty coating that keeps the chicken moist? The answer is yes! These breadcrumb are a great substitute for those living a low carb lifestyle or just want to try something different.
- 8 chicken tenders or 2 chicken breast cut into strips
- olive oil for frying
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup psyllium husk
- 1 tbsp herbs en provence
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Set up three stations. To make clean up easier I use 2 Ziploc Bags and a shallow bowl. Fill 1 bag with coconut flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. The other bag with almond flour, psyllium husks, herbs, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and parmesan.
- In the shallow bowl, beat the egg and Dijon mustard together.
- Put the chicken in the bag with coconut flour and shake until all pieces are coated.
- Remove from the bag and dip into the egg mixture, 1 piece at a time. Then place in the almond flour bag. Once all the chicken is in the almond flour bag, shake until the chicken in evenly coated.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, add olive oil to shallow fry. Put the chicken in the frying pan and let fry for 3 minutes on each side.
- Place on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve immediately.