This was the dish I made for my friend’s birthday dinner. We have a tradition that we make dinner for each other on our birthdays. She became vegan a few years ago which has given me the challenge of making something delicious with no animal products.
This chili chickpea dish is so delicious and even better the next day. The chickpeas are baked low and slow in olive oil with spices. It’s flavourful and rich with a nice heat from the chilis. You could eat it plain but best served with naan bread.
- 1 Dutch oven or oven proof pot with lid
- 2 540ml canned chickpeas drained
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 4 shallots chopped
- 3 red serrano chilis
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Turkish spice
- 2 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- fresh corriander for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325℉
- In a dutch oven, put chickpeas, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, chilis, tomato paste, spices, sugar, and oil. Mix well.
- Place in oven with lid on and bake for 1 hour. Give it a mix after 30 minutes and let finish cooking.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with naan bread.