I think if you ask anyone living a low carb lifestyle what food they miss the most, I bet they will say pizza. This pizza pie is a low carb version of a deep dish pizza. The crust is crunchy and you can fill it with all your favourite pizza topping. I like my pizzas spicy with pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions, so that is what I did here. I added a whole container of spinach to get some greens in, but a side salad would be the perfect accompaniment to this hearty dish.
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup ground psyllium husk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup water
- 2 hot italian sausage casings removed
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 7 cremini mushrooms sliced
- 5 ounces baby spinach clam shell case
- 2 red peppers chopped
- 2 cups roasted chicken cubed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups crushed tomato
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese grated
- 6 slices soppressata chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Mix all the dough ingredients in a bowl until the dough turns into a ball.
- Line the bottom of a 8 inch spring form pan with parchment paper and grease the entire pan.
- Spread the dough on the bottom and up along the sides with your hands. Prick the dough with a fork to prevent air bubbles while it bakes.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the sausages from its casing and put it in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper.
- Once softened, add the spinach a handful at a time. Once all the spinach has wilted, put the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the mushrooms, chicken, and dried oregano to the same frying pan. Once cooked add to bowl.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to the bowl. Mix well.
- Add the mozzarella and soppressata. Mix well.
- Once the crust is done, take it out of the oven and put the pizza filling into the pan. Top with mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley for garnish.