This side dish is packed with veggies and has a sweet and sour element to it. I like to make a batch of this and keep it in the fridge. It’s so versatile, you can add it as a relish to grilled meats, make flat breads, or crostini.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 fennel bulb chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 medium eggplant cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper cored seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 3 tbsp sultana raisins
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp capers drained
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper plus more for seasoning
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, cook until softened.
- Add the fennel, celery, and eggplant and cook until soft.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, raisins, and oregano and stir well.
- On low heat simmer, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, sugar,capers, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Turn off heat and finish with the remaining 2 tbsp. of olive oil.