As we get to the end of summer, your herbs may need their final pruning before it gets cold. A great way to use up your fresh herbs is to make a flavourful herb infused olive oil. It’s quick and easy and can be used for so many things. My favourite way to use it is for salad dressings and in pasta.
The subtle hint of basil will keep your memories of the summer alive all winter long.
- 500 ml olive oil
- 80 grams fresh basil
- Pour oil into a saucepan and add the basil.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off heat and let cool completely.
- Put a strainer over a bowl or measuring cup with a lip and pour oil through the strainer.
- Once strained, discard the basil. Pour oil back into the olive oil bottle and close.
- Label the bottle.